In this article we will see:
- What is and how to open DLL File extension
- How to edit, view, convert, make, install and register it.
- Programs, editors, viewers, readers and converters associated to this suffix format.
- Type: Dynamic link library
- Extension: .dll
What is a .DLL file extension format
This format also know as Dynamic Link Library is a file shared between a number of software programs (and are similar to .EXE files). It is used in Microsoft Windows and OS/2 operating systems.
These files will contain compiled procedures, or drivers (for example for a printer) which a range of programs can then all access. You will often come across DLL files in the context of not having them, which is to say if you plug a new piece of hardware into your PC the computer might complain about missing the 123XYZ.DLL.
In practice this means that the system cant find the driver associated with this hardware. You will usually be able to download legitimate DLL files from a CD accompanying the hardware, or off the Internet from the hardware producers website.
Additional comments: It is unlikely that you should ever have to open or edit a file extension dll (unless you are a specialist). Also note that these can be a source of infection and should be saved from the Internet or executed from an email, with care.
Appropriate program for file extension DLL
Specific software that can open DLL include: Generally there is no need to open it and it isn’t particularly advisable to attempt to.
How to open dll files for free
You can see here free software file viewers online and to download. Use one of the following free viewers.
In general, these files need the source code to decompile them in order to edit.
If Windows is unable to open DLL files you may not have the appropriate program installed or may have a registry related error.
How to Open DLL Files with visual studio
These are the required steps to open and edit:
- Go to the windows start menu
- There you must type Visual Studio Tool.
- A folder will appear. Go to it.
- For 2013 select “Developer Command Prompt”
- For 2010 select “Visual Studio Command Prompt “.
- The command prompt will appear.
- Type ildasm.exe
- Press ENTER.
- The window will open.
- Drag the file from the folder to the windows.
- Or Go to the file menu. Click on New and then add .dll
- Then, Mainfest and the .dll file will appear. Double click on it and see its contents.
How to decompile a .dll file
- First of all get the required software filegenreflector here
- Open reflector.exe
- In the View section click on Add-Ins
- Click Add
- Search your file.
- Close the window
- GO to file->Open and select your .dll for decompile.
- Go to Tools->Generate Files and click on it
- Click on generate files and the process of decompile will start.
Why Can’t i open it
The most important thing is to have a software, program or application that can manage these kind of files. A .dll file opener, fixer or editor.
If not you will fail opening it. A viewer if you want to view it, a reader if you want to read it.
How to Edit
To edit these kind of files you need a .dll editor.
How to read
To read these files you need a dll reader program.
How to install
You can install and register it following these steps:
- Get or download the dynamic link library file.
- Unzip and extract it.
- Copy it in the system32 folder of windows. (the registry folder).
- From the start menu Run program
- Type regsvr32 and the name and path of your file (example regsvr32 C://windows/system32/example.dll
- This will register your dll files
Go to your start menu, and open the “Run” program. In the text area, type “regsvr32” then the path and name of the DLL file you just copied (for example, type “regsvr32 C://windows/system32/esck_001.dll”).
This will open the registry registrar program for Windows, and it will automatically register the DLL that you just copied into the system folder.
How to make and create a dll file
Using visual studio
To create it you need to use visual studio 2019 from microsoft.
- Create a project
- Set languate C++
- Set platform = Windows
- The project type will be library
- Select in the project types Dynamic-link library
- Select next
- Configure your project
You can create a blank file and then add the .dll suffix.