File Extension type: Dynamic link library
What is .DLL format
This format DLL file extension also know as Dynamic Link Library is a file shared between a number of software programs (and are similar to .EXE files). It is used in Microsoft Windows and OS/2 operating systems.
These files will contain compiled procedures, or drivers (for example for a printer) which a range of programs can then all access. You will often come across DLL files in the context of not having them, which is to say if you plug a new piece of hardware into your PC the computer might complain about missing the 123XYZ.DLL.
In practice this means that the system cant find the driver associated with this hardware. You will usually be able to download legitimate DLL files from a CD accompanying the hardware, or off the Internet from the hardware producers website.
Additional comments: It is unlikely that you should ever have to open or edit a file extension dll (unless you are a specialist). Also note that these can be a source of infection and should be saved from the Internet or executed from an email, with care.
Appropriate program for file extension DLL
Specific software that can open DLL include: Generally there is no need to open it and it isn't particularly advisable to attempt to.
How to Open DLL Files in Windows pc computer
You can see here free software file viewers online and to download. Use one of the following free viewers.
In general, these files need the source code to decompile them in order to edit.
If Windows is unable to open DLL files you may not have the appropriate program installed or may have a registry related error.
How to Open DLL Files with visual studio
These are the required steps:
- Go to the windows start menu
- There you must type Visual Studio Tool.
- A folder will appear. Go to it.
- For 2013 select "Developer Command Prompt"
- For 2010 select "Visual Studio Command Prompt ".
- The command prompt will appear.
- Type ildasm.exe
- Press ENTER.
- The window will open.
- Drag the .dll from the folder to the windows.
- Or Go to the file menu. Click on New and then add .dll
- Then, Mainfest and the .dll file will appear. Double click on it and see its contents.
How to decompile a .dll file
- First of all get the required software here
- Open reflector.exe
- In the View section click on Add-Ins
- Click Add
- Search your .dll file.
- Close the window
- GO to file->Open and select your .dll for decompile.
- Go to Tools->Generate Files and click on it
- Click on generate files and the process of decompile will start.