- File Type: system files
- Extension: .nomedia
- Mime: application/octet-stream
What is a nomedia file extension?
The nomedia file format with the .nomedia suffix is a file stored on a mobile device using the Android operating system. Nomedia files can also be on any external form of storage, like a storage card that has a connection to an Android device.
The file extension .nomedia format indicates that the content of the folder does not include any multimedia data or media file. As a result, the folder cannot be indexed or scanned by a multimedia player.
The files name is .nomedia and the nomedia extension do not have any filename prefix. This format files can boost the performance of your device. It works by excluding any folder that a multimedia program doesn’t have to scan.
If a folder has many images and songs, for example, such a folder can be excluded during scanning.
You can equally use the .nomedia files extension format to hide ads that are featured in any free app downloaded on your android device. This can happen when you place the said android app in the same directory as the ad.
These files are recognized easily by several android video and audio players; image browsers also recognize them.
Examples are Video Player, MP3 Player, Gallery and so on. You can open it on a Windows operating system if you have access to the right tools.
How to open nomedia files
Can’t view a nomedia file? Problems or Inability to view and open the .nomedia on your computer is a sign that you do not have the corresponding program to open it; though there may be a couple of other reasons, which are mostly technical.
All you have to do to view them is to download the right program or tool to view and open it.
You can use apps and nomedia file viewers in PC and MAC OS , like:
- VLC media player
- Internet Explorer
- Windows Live Photo Gallery
- Media Player Classic
- Nomedia StudioKUMA .nomedia Manager
- Photo Gallery
For Android you can use the Nomedia viewer for Android
You can download the programs easily on your android device and they are also available for free.
They do not take much space on your device and work effectively in opening the .nomedia format.
Google Android can also open the .nomedia. Most devices automatically open it.
Consequently, you may not need to install any of the programs mentioned above before you can run it.
- Search for the .nomedia in your device
- Double click on it
- Select open with option
- From the drop down list of apps and software select the viewer, app or program.
- If there is not any viewer in your device or computer. Then you will have to download one of the programs we mentioned in the previous section.
- Open one of the nomedia viewers installed:
- Google Android.
- Internet Explorer.
- Nomedia StudioKUMA .nomedia Manager
- From the application go to the menu of files to open the .nomedia from your device.
- Now you can view the format in the app.
Other problems that may prevent you from accessing these files are below
- If the drivers, the tools or equipment required is outdated.
- The computer or Android device does not have adequate hardware resources that can cope with the easy opening of the .nomedia.
- If the file that you want to open is infected with malware.
- The tool or application for opening it is not installed.
- If you accidentally delete the description from your Windows registry.
- There is an incorrect link to the file in registry entries.
- It is corrupt.
- If you cannot resolve the problems y yourself, you can get in touch with trained it support to help out.
After resolving all the issues, your device should easily open it.
How to create .nomedia
- Go to Google Play.
- Download the APP File Explorer.
- Open the App.
- Select in the menu the option file.
- Enter the name with the suffix .nomedia
On Windows Computer
We are using to do this a text editor like notepad or microsoft word.
- Open the text editor: notepad for example.
- On the menu on the top side of your screen select File -> Save
- Now type the name you want with the .nomedia suffix.
- You have succesfully created it.
How to delete nomedia files
You can delete these files like others. The problem is that sometimes it is a hidden file. We are going to see how to unhide them to be able to remove them.
- Open the app es file explorer
- In the menu select settings.
- Then select display settings
- Check the option show hidden files.
- Now you can see them and delete as other types.
How to convert a nomedia file
The easiest way to convert it is to rename the files to another format. Only if they are renamed to its original format the conversion will work.
Is .nomedia file a virus?
No, it is not. These file are very useful to hide the multimedia folders.
How to hide multimedia files on Android
You can hide them creating a file .nomedia
How to find hidden files on Android
Just find the folders with the .nomedia files. To unhide them you will have to remove these .nomedia