Have you heard about the Portable Document Format?
Otherwise known as PDF, the Portable Document Format is one popular format for saving large text and picture documents. Some of these documents include; academic papers, huge legal case files, contractual agreements, resumes, invoices, bank e-statements and also school homework. This format offers users seamless accessibility, legibility and transferability.
It is compatible with various operating systems, hardware and application software. The file is based on PostScript language. Each file encapsulating a complete description of a fixed-layout flat document including:
- Raster images.
- Vector graphics.
- Other required information for displaying the content.
It can now contain three-dimensional objects. Using PRC or U3D, different data formats, rich media like video content, layers, form-fields, annotation and several other interactive elements and logical structuring elements.
Today, the specification equally enables digital signatures and encryption, metadata and file attachments towards enabling workflows that require these features.
The PDF file extension is for cross-platform documents created using the Adobe Acrobat software or any program that comes with the Acrobat plug-in.
You can also safeguard documents by saving them in PDF and using encrypted user passwords. This ensures that your documents can only be viewed by individuals only upon inputting the correct password. PDF is therefore a very secure format, especially if you want to send confidential documents across the Internet via email.
PDF documents may also be saved as read only files or as editable documents. The Portable Document Format is versatile with an easy to use and flexible user interface. PDF definitely offers users a lot of useful features and options.
This tutorial will show you how to open PDF files on devices using Windows, Android or Mac operating systems.
Opening PDF Files On Windows OS
Do you have a PDF Reader?
To read PDF files on devices using Windows OS, such as a Personal Computer, you will first need install a PDF reader. This is a software application that is capable of opening a PDF file. You will need a PDF reader, such as; Adobe Acrobat Reader.
You can download the Adobe Acrobat Reader for FREE on the official Adobe Website.
If you do not have this PDF reader, you may also download it here.
On the Adobe website, you will be provided with clear instructions on how to download and install the app on your Windows device. Make sure you adhere strictly to the instructions given.
This will ensure that the installation is done without any hitch. As soon as you have installed the Adobe Reader on your Windows PC, you will be able to open and read PDF files. You will also be able to save documents in PDF format.
Using Adobe Acrobat Reader to Open a PDF file
With your Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, you can now open a PDF file. Below are step-by-step instructions on how you can use your installed Adobe Acrobat Reader to open a PDF file.
- First open your installed Adobe Acrobat Reader (this may also apply to another type of PDF reader).
- Go to the “File” drop-down menu located at the top left hand corner of the application's window.
- Click on the “Open” option, then scroll to where the PDF file may be located on your PC or other Window device.
- Then, Click on the PDF file name to select it.
- Click on the button labelled “Open” to have the PDF file accessible for reading.
You may also wish to open your PDF file directly from “My Computer”or the “Windows Explorer”.
To do this, you simply have to click on “My Computer” or the “Windows Explorer”. Next, you can locate your desired PDF file from either of the “Windows Explorer” or “My Computer” options.
Note that by double-clicking on the file name of a located PDF file, you will open the file on your installed Adobe Acrobat Reader.
How to open PDF files on Android OS devices
There are devices with Android OS which can allow you to open a PDF file even without an installed PDF reader app. However, there are also those Android OS devices like tablets and smartphones, which require you to install a particular app or apps. This will be necessary before you can be able to open PDF files with ease.
It should be mentioned that many of the new smartphones and tablets are designed with in-built PDF readers.
Where your Android device does not come with an in-built PDF reader, you will have to install a PDF app.
Install Adobe Acrobat Reader
You can also install the Adobe Acrobat Reader on your Android device. You simply need to go to Google Play Store to download this app.
If you are interested in getting the beginners version of this app from Google Play Store, click here.
For the professional version which has a filter feature for search results you can click here to download. The pro version is also free of pop-up ads.
Note that installation is quick and the app size is moderate. In addition, the app comes with a variety of user options.
These features include; zoom, scroll, night-time mode, brightness lock and customer support search options.
You can also append your signature to PDF files, while documents may be printed directly on Google Cloud Print.
Open PDF file on Android device using your File Manager
- First visit the “File Manager” on your Android mobile device.
- To open a PDF file from the “File Manager”, just go to the location of the file.
- Next, you need to tap the PDF file.
- By tapping the PDF file, the Adobe Acrobat Reader opens the file automatically on your Android mobile device.
Open a PDF file by using the Adobe Reader Software
To open a PDF file directly from an installed Adobe Acrobat Reader app, you will have to comply with the following instructions;
- Go to the Adobe Acrobat Reader app on your Android mobile device and tap the “Menu” option.
- Tap on the “Documents” folder.
- Once you are in the “Documents” folder, you will see every available PDF file on your Android device.
- Tap on the PDF file that you want to open and the Adobe Acrobat Reader app will do the rest.
Opening PDF files on Mac OS
For users of Mac personal computers, there are different ways to open a PDF file. One way is through the “Preview” option.
The “Preview” feature is actually an in-built application. It allows you to view PDF files (read only), that are on your Mac PC.
Here is how it's done;
- First, select the PDF file using the”Open Finder”option.
- By double-clicking the selected PDF file, it will be displayed via “Preview”. However, the double-clicking option will only work where “Preview” has been selected as the default PDF reader for your Mac PC.
- Alternatively, you need to right-click the selected PDF file, then highlight “Open With” and click the “Preview” option from there.
Open a PDF file from an installed PDF Reader
You can also install a PDF reader and open a PDF file directly from it. PDF Expert is one PDF file reader that you can install. You can also set this app as your default program for opening PDF files, this will save you time.
To set this app as the default program...
- first “Launch Finder.app”,
- secondly, locate a PDF file and then select the file,
- thirdly, you then need to click and hold “Cmd + i”. Alternatively, you can choose “Get Info”when you click the “File” menu.
Other Software and alternative programs that Open PDF Files
There are many pdf readers and editors available. The viewers are software, apps and online websites.
- Foxit Reader or PDF Editor
- , ACD Systems Canvas,
- Nuance PaperPort,
- Corel Paint Shop Pro,
- Adobe Reader to view,
- Brava! Reader,
- ACDSee Photo Manager,
- Nuance PDF Converter,
- Adobe Acrobat to edit,
- Nitro PDF,
- Sumatra PDF
PDF Reader online:
You can open a pdf online in https://www.pdfpro.co/pdf-viewer
Open With Android:
Android comes with a built in app to open pdf files. However, you can also download the following apk apps:
Pdf program viewers
You can choose a PDF viewer from the list below:
Can't Open PDF Files
There are times the file will refuse to open despite having the reader already on your device.
This may happen if there is not association with the PDF reader. Follow the steps below to associate the two:
- Right-click the PDF files on your device and click on "Open With".
- Look for Adobe Reader in the drop-down menu and click on it.
- If there is no Adobe Reader on the list of programs, you can browse it on your device. You will usually find the Adobe Reader software at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader.
Can't open a specific .pdf file? Problems editing it?
Just download another free viewer on windows, mac or android and try again.
Regardless of the type of device you use, you can access PDF files with ease. Whether you use Windows, Android or Mac devices, there is a PDF reader readily available for download.
PDF is a reliable and trusted format that can save you lots of time and money if used properly. It will also keep your documents secure from unauthorized users. You can also send large sized documents over the internet by saving the files in PDF format.