File Type: Portable Document Files
Are you having difficulties opening a pdf file on your device try our why PDF won't open guide? Read on to know just how to work around this difficulty.
What is a PDF file?
A .PDF file extension the Portable Document Format is a fil with the .pdf suffix. This suffix corresponds to one popular format for saving large text and picture documents.
Some of these PDF documents include; academic papers, huge legal case files, contractual agreements, resumes, invoices, bank e-statements and also school homework. This format offers users seamless accessibility, legibility and transferability.
The Extension .PDF
The file extension pdf is compatible with various operating systems, hardware and application software. These files are based on the PostScript language. Each encapsulating a complete description of a fixed-layout flat document including:
- Raster images.
- Vector graphics.
- Other required information for displaying the content.
PDF files can now contain three-dimensional objects. Using PRC or U3D, different data formats, rich media like video content, layers, form-fields, annotation and several other interactive elements and logical structuring elements.
Today, the specification equally enables digital signatures and encryption, metadata and files attachments towards enabling workflows that require these features.
The PDF file extension is for cross-platform documents created using the Adobe Acrobat software or any program that comes with the Acrobat plug-in.
You can also safeguard documents by saving them in file extension PDF and using encrypted user passwords. This ensures that your documents can only be viewed by individuals only upon inputting the correct password. The Portable document format is therefore a very secure format, especially if you want to send confidential files and documents across the Internet via email.
PDF documents may also be saved as read only files or as editable documents. The Portable Document Format is versatile with an easy to use and flexible user interface. It definitely offers users a lot of useful features and options.
How to open PDF Files and documents
We can view, read, edit and open portable document files with a specific program. Methods and programs for windows 7 and windows 10. It is also valid for older versions.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader
To read and view these files on devices using Windows OS, such as a Personal Computer, you will first need install a .PDF reader. This is a software application that is capable of opening and view this files format. A portable document format reader, such as; Acrobat Reader.
If you don't have this software, you can download the Adobe Reader for FREE on the official Adobe Website.
On the Adobe website, you will be provided with clear instructions on how to download and install the app on your Windows device. Make sure you adhere strictly to the instructions given.
- Go to https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html and select download now (see in blue in the image below).
- In the next screen, select Download acrobat reader
- After a few seconds the download will start
- When the download is finished you will see a direct access in your windows. See image below and double click on the file in the lower left side of your screen.
- The installation of the program will start and you will see the progress.
This will ensure that the installation is done without any hitch. As soon as you have installed the Adobe Reader on your Windows PC, you will be able to view and read PDF files. You will also be able to save documents in this format.
Open Adobe Acrobat Reader
With your Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, you can now read and view portable document format files. Below are step-by-step instructions on how you can use it to open a .PDF file extension.
- First click on your installed acrobat reader (this may also apply to another type of PDF viewer).
- From the main screen you can select many options.
- Click on Set as default if you want adobe Acrobat to be your default pdf reader.
- Click on open file to edit quicky a .pdf file.
- Select edit PDF to edit text and images of a portable document file format.
- Go to the “File” drop-down menu located at the top left hand corner of the application's window.
- Click on the “Open” option, then scroll to where the portable document format files may be located on your PC or other Window device.
- Then, Click on the name to select it.
- Click on the button labelled “Open” to have the files accessible for reading.
- Now you can view it!
Another way is to go directly from “My Computer”or the “Windows Explorer”.
To do this, you simply have to click on “My Computer” or the “Windows Explorer”. Next, you can locate your desired .PDFs from either of the “Windows Explorer” or “My Computer” options.
Note that by double-clicking on it, you will view the files on your installed Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Make adobe acrobat your default PDF reader
If you want your .pdf files to open always with acrobat you have to select it as your default reader. We are going to see the required steps to do it.
- Open the program.
- Click on Set as default on the right side of your screen (see image below).
- In the next screen select the program Acrobat Reader software
How to View and Open a PDF File On Android OS devices
There are devices with Android OS which can allow you to open the files with .pdf extension even without an installed reader app.
However, there are also those Android OS devices like tablets and smartphones, which require you to install a particular app or apps. This will be necessary before you can be able to view these pdf files with ease.
It should be mentioned that many of the new smartphones and tablets are designed with in-built PDFs readers. Where your Android device does not come with it, you will have to install an app.
Install Adobe Acrobat Reader
You can also install Acrobat Reader on your Android device. You simply need to go to Google Play Store to download this app.
- If you are interested in getting the beginners version of this app from Google Play Store, click here.
- For the professional version which has a filter feature for search results you can click here to download. The pro version is also free of pop-up ads.
Note that installation is quick and the app size is moderate. In addition, the app comes with a variety of user options.
These features include; zoom, scroll, night-time mode, brightness lock and customer support search options.
You can also append your signature to PDF files extension, while documents may be printed directly on Google Cloud Print.
Opening Adobe Reader Software
To read, view and open a pdf file directly from an installed Adobe Acrobat Reader app, you will have to comply with the following instructions;
- Go to the Acrobat Reader app on your Android mobile device and tap the “Menu” option.
- Tap on the “Documents” folder.
- Once you are in the “Documents” folder, you will see every available PDF file on your Android device.
- Tap on it and the Adobe Acrobat app will do the rest.
Using your File Manager
- First visit the “File Manager” on your Android mobile device.
- Then, just go to the location of the pdf file.
- Next, you need to tap on it.
- By tapping it, the Adobe Acrobat Reader opens it automatically on your Android mobile device.
- View your PDF file
For users of Mac personal computers, there are different ways to open these .pdf files.
Using preview option
One way is through the “Preview” option.
The “Preview” feature is actually an in-built application. It allows you to view PDF files (read only), that are on your Mac PC.
Here is how it's done;
- First, select the file using the”Open Finder”option.
- By double-clicking the selected file, it will be displayed via “Preview”. However, the double-clicking option will only work where “Preview” has been selected as the default PDF reader for your Mac PC.
- Alternatively, you need to right-click the selected file, then highlight “Open With” and click the “Preview” option from there.
How to view pdf files from an installed Reader
You can also install a PDF reader and view the file directly from it. PDF Expert is one reader that you can install. You can also set this app as your default program for opening portable document reader files, this will save you time.
To set this app as the default program...
- first “Launch Finder.app”,
- secondly, locate the file and then select it,
- thirdly, you then need to click and hold “Cmd + i”. Alternatively, you can choose “Get Info”when you click the “File” menu.
Software that can open a PDF file
What programs can open pdf files? There are many pdf files readers and editors available. The viewers are software, apps and online websites.
- Foxit Reader
- ACD Systems Canvas,
- Nuance PaperPort,
- Corel Paint Shop Pro,
- Adobe Reader to view,
- ACDSee Photo Manager,
- Nuance PDF Converter,
- Adobe Acrobat to edit,
- Nitro PDF,
- Sumatra PDF
Open With Android:
Android comes with a built in app to view pdf files. However, you can also download the following apk apps:
How to open PDF files online
If you don't want to download any program you can just view your pdf file online. There are many options available.
- Go to https://www.pdfpro.co/pdf-viewer
- You have two options to select your document:
- Drag your pdf file from your device to the "drag and drop Pdf file here"
- Click on the green button "Click to upload PDF"
- Go to https://www.pdfescape.com/open/
- Click on upload PDF if you have the pdf file in your device.
- Or Load PDF from internet if you are using an online pdf file document.
How to convert PDF to Word
You can use an online converter. There are many options like this
Using Software in Windows or MAC
For Windows you have the following converters available:
- Adobe Acrobat
- Simply PDF
For MAC you have the following converters:
How to convert PDF files to JPG
You can use an online PDF to jpg converter like https://pdf2jpg.net/
Using Software in Windows or MAC
You can use the following programs:
What Free PDF Editor should I choose?
There are many free pdf editors available, all of them with great features. You should try the software to find out which one you like.
The options are:
- Online editors and converters.
How to merge or combine PDF files
Sometimes you have more than one document and you want to merge or combine all of them. These are the required steps to follow.
- Identify which are the documents and files you want to merge or combine:
- Use an online merge tool like https://combinepdf.com/
- Use a software like SmallPDF
Can't Open a PDF file extension
There are times the file will refuse to open despite having the viewer already on your device.
This may happen if there is not association with the pdf viewer. Follow the steps below to associate the two:
- Right-click the files on your device and click on "Open With".
- Look for Adobe Reader in the drop-down menu and click on it.
- If there is no PDF Reader on the list of programs, you can browse it on your device. You will usually find the Adobe Reader software at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader.
Can't view a specific .pdf file? Problems editing it?
Just download another free viewer on windows, mac or android and try again.
Regardless of the type of device you use, you can access and open a PDF file with ease. Whether you use Windows, Android or Mac devices, there is a pdf viewer readily available for download.
It is a reliable and trusted format that can save you lots of time and money if used properly. It will also keep your documents secure from unauthorized users. You can also send large sized documents over the internet by saving them in this format.
Other typing mistakes or variants: _pdf, pdf', pdf_, pdf_1