What is a nomedia file? It is a file stored on a mobile device using the Android operating system or stored on any external form of storage, like a storage card connected to an Android device.
The file extension indicates that the content of the folder does not include any multimedia data. As a result, the folder cannot be indexed or scanned by a multimedia player.
The files are named .nomedia and do not have any filename prefix.
They can be used to boost the performance of your device and it works by excluding any folder that does not need to be scanned.
If a folder has thousands of images and songs, for example, such a folder can be excluded during scanning.
You can equally use the .nomedia to hide ads that are featured in any free app downloaded on your android device. This can happen when you place the said app in the same directory as the ad.
The .nomedia files are recognized easily by several android video and audio players; image browsers also recognize them.
Examples are Video Player, MP3 Player, Gallery and so on. Bear in mind that the it can be opened on Windows operating system if you have access to the right tools.
How to open .nomedia files
Inability to open the .nomedia file on your computer is a sign that you do not have the corresponding program to open it; though there may be a couple of other reasons, which are mostly technical.
All you have to do is to download the right program or tool to open it.
You can use utilities, like Nomedia StudioKUMA .nomedia Manager to manage these files.
The two programs can be downloaded easily on your android device and they are also available for free.
They do not take much space on your device and work effectively in opening the .nomedia file.
Google Android can also be used to open the .nomedia file. Most Google Android devices are programmed to automatically open the file.
Consequently, you may not need to install any of the programs mentioned above before you can open the file.
Other problems that may prevent you from accessing these files are highlighted below
- If the drivers if the tools or equipment required for opening it is outdated.
- If the computer or Android device does not have adequate hardware resources that can cope with the easy opening of the .nomedia file.
- If the file that you want to open is infected with malware.
- If the tool or application for opening it is not properly installed.
- If you accidentally delete the description from your Windows registry.
- If there is an incorrect link to the file in registry entries.
- If it is corrupt.
- If you cannot resolve the problems described above by yourself, you can get in touch with trained technicians to help out.
After resolving all the issues highlighted above, your device should easily open it.