What is a WEBP File
On September 30, 2010, Google announced the publication of a new open standard for compression with 24-bit graphics loss on the web, the webp image format. The model for this standard was the VP8 video format. On2 Technologies developed it and Google acquired that on 2019.
Thereafter, Google expanded the WebP format with features such as a lossless compression mode, transparency (alpha channel) and animations.
Google Chrome supports the compression format since the end of 2010, but so far, as has happened with Opera, it has had to assume that many browsers only support WebP experimentally (such as Safari and Firefox, whose regular updates are still unsupported) .
According to its own statements, Microsoft would be currently working to support it in its own Edge browser.
How to open .WEBP Files
Can’t? Problems or Inability to view the .webp file format on your computer is a sign that you do not have the corresponding program to view it; though there may be a couple of other reasons, which are mostly technical.
All you have to do is to download the right program or too to view webp images.
- Search for the .webp in your device
- Right click on it.
- Select open with option
- From the drop down list of apps and software select the viewer, app or program.
- If there is not any viewer in your device or computer. Then you will have to download one of the programs we mentioned in the previous section.
- Launch one of the webp viewers installed:
- Browsers like Chrome or Opera
- Irfanview a free image viewer for Windows 10 or older
- From the application go to the menu of files to view the .webp from your device.
- Now you can open a webp file in the app.
If you want to see images or animations encoded in WebP, you have several options at your fingertips:
To view a WebP file in Photoshop we will have to use a plugin that adds this compatibility to the Adobe tool.
The software in question is called WebPFormat and we can get it from this link. There we will find the links for the 32-bit and 64-bit version. So before downloading them we must make sure that we get the version that matches our system.
Once downloaded, the next thing we have to do is unzip that is saved on our hard drive.
Inside the compressed file we will find one with the name WebPFormat64.8bi, which corresponds to the plugin itself.
Therefore, now it only remains to install it.
You can also use the google photo application to view this format.
WEBP related extensions
Can’t view a .webp file?
Other problems that may prevent you from accessing these files are below
- If the drivers, the tools or equipment required is outdated.
- The computer or Android device does not have adequate hardware resources that can cope with the easy opening of the .webp.
- If it is infected with malware.
- The tool or application required it is not installed.
- If you accidentally delete the description from your Windows registry.
- There is an incorrect link to the file in registry entries.
- It is corrupt.
- If you cannot resolve the problems y yourself, you can get in touch with trained it support to help out.
After resolving all the issues, your device should easily display it.